Total Pageviews

Friday, October 4, 2013

Scuse me but your trunk is hanging open...


At first glance, one would think that this one belongs in my “Sometimes Its Okay To Be An Ass “ column, but I am really not trying to annoy anyone or make people mad with this one. I really am trying to understand something that I truly do not grasp so bear with me.
The above article tells about how certain restaurants and businesses are instituting a “No sagging” zone meaning that if you are one of those people who wear their pants down around your lower buttcheeks, you cannot come in or be served till you pull them up. This has sparked a rousing game of “Racism!” and “Discrimination” as one would expect from such a highly charged issue. Hence comes my confuzzlement.
I am not nor have I ever been racist. The ability people have to hate and dislike other people simple because of their Racial Background or Cultural Background has always amazed me. Don't get me wrong, I have a lonnnnng list of people and things that I don't like (Onions tops the list for personal reasons) but I have never disliked someone based solely on their skin tone or spiritual beliefs. The fact I turned out this way despite the fact I come from about as deep in Lower Alabama as you can get still amazes me.
With that disclaimer out of the way, let me state for the record that I don't get it. I personally think that people who wear their trousers down around their butts look absolutely stupid. The fact that some of them ain't even wearing clean underwear just makes it nasty AND stupid looking. I mean I have seen some dumb looking fashion statements (Beer Caps come to mind) but that doesn't make you look cool, it just makes you look sloppy.
You have the right to wear pretty much anything you want in any manner you want. As a Middle Aged White Geezer, I wear some pretty funky stuff meself. If you want to have your butt hanging out the back of your pants, that is cool. I just don't see how you can possibly think that is cool. My Wife has a hypothesis that some Actor/Singer/Comedian many many moons back wore that look once or twice and people thought “Hey if XXXX does that, then it must be cool.” So they started doing it too. I seriously doubt that the urban legend going around about Prisoners signaling their willingness to have sex by wearing their pants low is true.
Like I said, I am not trying to be offensive or insulting in any way. (That's for my other column.) I honestly want to try to understand how showing the world that your butt is covered with Garfield Boxers is somehow cool. Any takers?
Brew Long and Prosper

No comments:

Post a Comment